Thursday, August 16, 2012

Preparing for Class



Class Sample Step Outs
I must admit I was slightly nervous about the Boutique Slippers class I am teaching tomorrow at Berger's Sewing Center. I could not figure out why I was nervous but have come to the conclusion it is because even though I am branding It's Sew Lorine, I really do not teach sewing projects very often. If you look at the classes and/or presentations I have given over the past number of years they are based on either a product I am presenting or a craft based project with the exception of the Rockin Smockin pillow class at CHA this past July. It's funny how you don't really think about what you are doing so much as just doing it, until life makes you stop and really figure out what and or why you are feeling a certain way.

Anyway on to our subject matter. Preparing for class. For those of you who are perhaps unfamiliar with teaching, there is a lot of prep work if you want the class to run smoothly and participants to get there monies worth. I guess this is something our children's teachers have known all along and why they need those extra days off during the school year. Their jobs are not just 9 - 4 if they are a good teacher.

The photo above is a snap shot of the step outs I prepared for class. I like to work backwards, creating a sample of a slipper with only one step to the finish line and then the next sample two steps etc. Another thing I noticed is that if you do not pay attention while you are recreating your steps is that you will create a whole new way to construct something that is perhaps not what you wrote in the books instructions. Is this wrong, why did I do it that way in the first place are questions I asked myself after saying some not so lady like phrases. Luckily I discovered why I did and wrote it the way I did, but honestly it does not make it wrong. In life like in sewing there are many paths.

Wish me luck in class tomorrow, it is the first of many I will be teaching at my local sewing store. BTW: did you notice my good friend, Pat Sloan's fabric in my samples...... Love them Pat!
Boutique Slippers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by I look forward to reading and posting your comments.