Friday, July 6, 2012

Teaching our children to sew

Sew Fun Tote Box
I feel the ability to sew is part of my personality - I am creative and I love fabric! It saddens me to think the art of sewing might be lost if schools do not continue offering classes to their students. Not every household has a sewing machine and in some cases they might have the machine but no interest  or the time to teach the children of the household. This is where the school system or the community can step up to the plate so to speak. If you love sewing, why not offer a class at your neighborhood sewing store, in your church basement or perhaps even in your home, keeping the class to one or two interested children.

I recently wrote an article for the Sewing Savvy e-newsletter about sewing with your tweens and teens.I created a quick Tote project that I thought might be a great starting point for new sewers as it is made from two fat quarters of fabric and involves a number of basic sewing skills that they can practice while completing a wonderful project to take home. The base of the tote is created from a cereal box which adds wonderful stability and can be changed out whenever you feel it is necessary. Sewing can be fun but to keep it fun, it really is all about the fabric and the finished project. If it is not visually interesting you have lost most teens before they have even started. To check out the project above along with full instructions read my latest Sewing Savvy e-newsletter. The instructions and pattern diagrams can be printed direct from the newsletter, making it sew easy. I would love to hear your comments.

Lorine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by I look forward to reading and posting your comments.